May (Happy Mother's Day!)

Happy mother's day to all! I hope every mother out there had a lovely day, even if it included the dreaded breakfast in bed - which I always think is more trial than treat. In fact my unwillingness to be subjected to this particular ritual has been a standing argument in my house for years. I simply abhore having to (a) remain in bed until offspring get up, (b) remain in bed while offspring attempt to make an elaborate breakfast (while I listen to the hissed bickering and the occasional 'um-ah, now you're going to get it'), and (c) remain in bed while balancing an overloaded tray of tepid, partially cooked food and then eat the same while my every mastication is scrutinised by three pairs of narrowed eyes.
At least this morning it wasn't an issue as I rose long before they did and headed into town - with thousands of others - for the Mother's Day Classic, which is a 4 or 8km run/walk for breast cancer. Buoyed by our recent training, Cathri, Donna and I elected to do the 8km and did it pretty easily. Amazingly enough I didn't even need to stop at one of the porta-loos along the way! A new record. The only hiccup was at about the 5km mark when I noticed my runners were being splashed with water and it took me another fifteen minutes to work out that no, it wasn't just some oddly localised precipitation, but I'd actually managed to put my drink bottle back into my pouch upside down - and open. So I finished the walk carrying a wet pouch, an empty drink bottle, a dripping mobile phone, a packet of soggy tissues, and a handful of slippery change that I'd carefully packed for coffee afterwards.
But that wasn't enough to dampen (dampen - get it?) the day, especially as I arrived home to enjoy a lovely relaxing afternoon followed by being banned from the kitchen while a special tea was put together by my kids. A candlelit table holding platters of rich succulent satay chicken and lightly battered honey chicken together with steaming fried rice and hot buttered rolls. Absolutely delicious - and all bought from the local Chinese shop. Just the way I like it. Happy mother's day!

No comments: